From Home Furnishing Business
11 Student, Professional Furniture Designers Win Innovation + Design Awards
The winners were recognized at the “Meet the Designers” awards celebration held on the Campus of Congdon Yards in High Point.
The juried competition was open to professional designers who make their own products and the next generation of serious woodworking students who are anticipating a career in the custom wood and related home furnishings industries.
Category winners were:
- Professional Accessories – Justin Stabb, Tetra Illuminated Wall System
- Professional Dining Room – Brian Boggs, Crescent Table
- Professional Occasional Tables – Erika Cross, Anvil
- Professional Seating – Christopher Martin, Makowa Chair
- Professional Lighting – Ryan Nicholson, Yamadera (Mountain Shrine)
- Student Accessories - Yingxin Gong, 3L Side Table
- Student Seating – Jiayan Li, “Cove” (from Anicca Collection)
- Student Occasional Storage - Matthew Carr, Vice Box
- Student Occasional Tables – Milan Bhullar, Hooked On! Table
- Student Lighting - Brianna Cappelli, Solace: Chandeliers
Best of Show winners:
- Professional Best of Show – Brian Boggs, Cio Arm Chair
- Student Best of Show – Stephen Thrasher, Kagome Woven Wood Table
The finalists’ projects were also creatively photographed by more than 17 area photographers participating in the Innovation + Design’ People’s Choice photographic competition and will be voted on by the exhibition visitors through Oct. 26. The photography winners will be announced at a live celebration co-hosted with Theater Art Galleries on Oct. 13 from 5-7 p.m., also on the Congdon Yards campus.
“I want to thank the very talented designers for sharing their highly imaginative creations with us, the judges who were tasked with the challenging job of selecting the incredible winners and the photographers who stepped up to the challenge to shoot the projects in an extraordinary manner,” said John Conrad, executive director of ISFD.
“It is so exciting to see how much this event has grown over the past three years. Our plan is to continue to expand Innovation + Design each year and to continue to make it a highly coveted furniture award that recognizes High Point as the design capital in not only the industry and our community but also worldwide.”
The winners’ and finalists’ projects will be on display Thursdays and Fridays from 3-7 p.m. and Saturdays noon-7 p.m. at Congdon Yards until Oct. 22. During next month’s High Point Market, the exhibit will be open 8 a.m.-5 p.m. daily through Oct. 26.
In addition, on Oct. 22 from 3-6 p.m., ISFD will host a reception where industry executives, designers and merchants will be on hand to review the finalists’ projects for potential production opportunities.