From Home Furnishing Business
Decorating Den Interiors Names Designer of the Year
Young’s design of a dining room was judged best in category and the overall best of 218 entries in 11 categories by interior design journalists from the U.S. and Canada. Additionally, she won first place in bathrooms and second in living rooms, along with a separate award from a different panel of judges.
“I am thrilled to win this honor,” said Young. “Classic wallpaper makes for an updated colorway in the dining room. Mirrored tiles were installed. The mahogany and gold-leaf table offers seating for twelve, while black and cane chairs mix in. A transitional black chandelier with gold highlights complements the furniture. A buffet with gold hardware provides storage. The large rug is luxurious and the velvet drapes with subtle sheen bring texture.”
First Runner-Up was Lynne Lawson, of Columbia, Md. and her design associate Laura Outland, who won first in miscellaneous with a luxury lounge and entertainment space. They also won second place in family rooms and third in bathroom, along with another award in a separate judging.
Second Runner-Up was Terri Ervin, Hoschton, Ga. who won first place in the kitchen category and third in children’s rooms.
First-place winner of the Donayre Award, which is voted on by company franchisees and is named for Carol Donayre Bugg, ASID, retired company vice president and director of design, was Cassy Young for the dining room that earned her Designer of the Year status.
Other design awards included:
- Lynne Lawson and Laura Outland, of Columbia, Md. won second for their miscellaneous and third for their family room.
- Veronica Simmons, of Wixom, Mich., won first place in the People’s Choice Award segment, an online judging open to the public. Her family room makeover received the highest number of votes cast.
- Maryann Fisher, of Chambersburg, Pa., won second place for her design of a kitchen.
- Kathy McGroarty, of Lansdale, Pa., was awarded third place for her living room.
- Berenice Sanchez, of Round Rock, Texas, won the Patti Award for design of a family room. Named after Patti Coons, former public relations director who was instrumental in starting the International Dream Room competition, the award is for first-time entries into the competition and is judged by those franchisees who have achieved Decorating Den Certified Decorator status.
This was the company’s 37th International Dream Room awards presentation. It was held via a special international video conference that replaced the company’s normal annual conference, which was not held because of Covid19 circumstances. There were more than 200 participating online.
Decorating Den Interiors was founded in 1969 and has interior design professionals and decorators throughout the U.S. and Canada. Its design professionals offer full-service interior design that includes fine furniture, case goods, accessories, lighting, floor and wall coverings, draperies and other hard and soft window treatments from its custom LIVV Home Collection of furnishings. Its design professionals bring samples directly to the client’s home or office, provide complimentary design services and personally oversee projects through installation.