From Home Furnishing Business
Sleep Train Golf Tourney Nets $1M for Foster Kids
Bedding retailer Sleep Train raised $1 million to provide educational support for West Coast foster youth during its 9th annual Charity Golf Classic.
More than 350 attendees took part in the event. The $1 million takes the event’s lifetime total to more than $4.4 million.
Money raised will support higher education goals like GED completion, tutoring, fees and supplies for standardized testing, and costs associated with applying for and attending college.
“We want foster kids to have the same opportunities and success that any parent would want for their own children—to go to school, get an education, have a fulfilling career and lead an independent, happy life,” said Dale Carlsen, founder of Sleep Train. “This event was focused on helping them achieve those same goals. We’re so thankful for everyone who opened their hearts to help make a difference, showing foster kids that they are cared for and as a community we believe in them and want them to succeed.”
Currently, only 40 percent to 50 percent of foster children graduate from high school and just 10 percent of former foster youth will attend college. The money raised during this event will largely go to these West Coast organizations to help improve these statistics:
· Koinonia in Sacramento offers a public high school through their agency, which 164 youth currently attend;
· Foster a Dream in the Bay Area offers career exposure to youth transitioning out of foster care;
· Promises2Kids in San Diego provides college preparation courses and mentoring to high school students;
· CASA of Portland equips volunteers with skills to help older foster youth plan for life after foster care, and;
· Treehouse in Washington state provides planning, coaching and support to help ensure foster youth graduate from high school.
Attendees participated in an 18-hole golf tournament, with a spirited send off from Sacramento State’s cheerleaders. The event included a raffle, costume contest and silent and live dinner auctions. Attendees included employees, volunteers and business associates from all over the country including representatives from Beautyrest, the presenting sponsor, Tempur-Pedic, Sealy Mattress Co., Leggett & Platt, Serta Mattress Co., Progressive Finance, Synchrony Financial, DSI Delivery, and Protect-A-Bed.
For community members who’d like to give back to the cause, Sleep Train is currently hosting its Dollar Drive for Foster Kids through Oct. 18 to raise money to help foster youth participate in important activities like tutoring, attending school field trips or joining a sports team. Donations in all denominations can be made at any Sleep Train location or online.